Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Sempervivum Flower

(This picture can be enlarged by clicking on it.  Clicking a second time will make it full-sized.)

We have sempervivum (hen and chickens) in several places around our yard.  We like them because they are always green, regardless of the weather or season (‘sempervivum’ means ‘always alive’).  One thing we didn’t know was that the hens, just before they die out and are replaced by chickens, flower.  The flowers are small and delicate, but still beautiful.  I got this photo of a flowering hen in out front yard.

13 comments:

Busy Bee Suz said...

I love the details on this little cutie!

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

purdy

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Those pretty little flowers are gorgeous --once you see them up close and personal. Love it... Thanks, Honey.

Love,
Wifey

Ginny Hartzler said...

Goodness, I have never seen a flower anything like this! Awesome!!

Ruth Hiebert said...

These flowers may be small, but they sure are pretty. Fantastic capture.

Linda said...

Really looks good when enlarged.

Terry and Linda said...

Those are really interesting flowers. I've never seen them before so I appreciated seeing them.

Heidrun Khokhar, KleinsteMotte said...

That is a beauty. I know so little about plants. It was not a passion for me years ago and now I am glad we can google because there are so many wonderful varieties I could never learn all.

Natalia said...

Wow,that is so pretty!☺

Natalia said...

I am following and will be visiting more often for such pretty pictures, have a lovely weekend ☺

Small Kucing said...

Interesting looking flower. Have not seen it here. I love the color

L. D. said...

It is a beautiful flower.

Snowbrush said...

George, I came here via Heidrun's blog. I spent my first 36 years in Mississippi, and all but two of the last 34 in Oregon's Willamette Valley, but my ancestors hailed from eastern Tennessee, so I'm aware of the beauty of it. I so enjoyed browsing your photos. As for the mountains calling you, you would surely love the Cascades.