Friday, October 16, 2009

Stupid Camera



(This picture can be enlarged by clicking on it.)

The waterfall above is Hurricane Falls in Tallulah Gorge State Park, Georgia. The picture was taken October 14, 2009.

Betsy and I were home for about 12 hours Thursday evening and early this (Friday) morning. That gave us just enough time to repack for Ray's memorial service and to do a quick post to let you know we survived the first of our quick trips. By the time you read this we will be on the road to Jacksonville, Florida.

As you know, we went to Tallulah Gorge State Park in Georgia to see what the waterfalls looked like when water was released from the dam above the gorge. We hiked a new trail (for us) and the views were wonderful. There was a light rain most of the day, but that didn't stop us from our quest to enjoy the waterfalls.

Unfortunately about half way through our hike my camera decided to start acting up. For the rest of the hike I could only take wide-angle shots if I could get any at all. That was definitely a bummer, but as Betsy said that just gives us another excuse to go back.

Now that Betsy has her laptop, I'm hoping Santa will bring me a new camera. I've been wanting one with interchangeable lenses so I could get closer to waterfalls we can't reach on foot. I would also like to be able to get macros of our flowers.

I know many of you are great photographers. I would appreciate any advice you may be able to give me regarding a camera that will fit my needs. Thanks.

14 comments:

Kirigalpoththa said...

Hi George,

Above piture is just gorgeous!

What is the camera you have been using? I'm not that expert but might be able to give a tip or two.

Carrizo said...

Great photo George anyway.

Well, the task is not easy to say, because it depends what camera You are now using. With this I mean that when using same camera then old lenses are also valid for newer camera made by same company.

I hope that "better knowing people" give You just the right answer.


Regards.

penny said...

I'm the far from being a pro... so I will only comment on how wonderful you photos are, George. We have been to this area and it is beautiful place even in the rain.

rainfield61 said...

The roaring water is gorgeous.
I am using Canon D1000, a DSLR for a beginner. So far I do not have any complaint.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Hey,I sure hope you find that perfect camera.As to what to get,any of the 'better' quality DSLRs will perform well.Jake and and I both use Canon,if that matters any.Good luck.
Blessings,Ruth

happyone said...

My camera is Olympus FE-230. Its just a point and shoot and it works fine for me. It has a zoom and macro and other settings as well. I love it! It is very small which I like because I take it with me everywhere.
Great shot of the falls.
Have a save trip part 2.

Chris said...

Hi George, I like the way the water looks smokey. I hope Santa brings you a nice new camera.

Cheryl said...

Sorry about the camera. I love my little Canon Power Shot SX110IS. I am on my second one as I dropped the first one waaayyy too many times. Its just a basic camera but perfect for me, I love the macro feature. The falls are so pretty.

Sharodindu said...

well I am not a photographer...I just have managed a digicam and since then I am following your blog. I really like your works because of great composition...What I think composition in photography is the best and hard thing to learn.

I would like to have some tips to improve my skill...

LV said...

No doubt you have been good, and Santa will not forget you. Those people that participate on SkyWatch Friday could probably you tell you about cameras. Some of those people really must have super cameras to get the pictures they share.

Linnea said...

Sorry to hear about your camera. They do have a way of causing problems at the worst possible moment, don't they! I use the Nikon D40. It's the cheapest SLR that they have. The body is small and light. I have a 18-200 mm Nikkor lens on it. That allows me to shoot close ups as well as wide angles - all with just one lens. No carrying around other lenses or having to swap them out! I love it...

Kirigalpoththa said...

Like Rainfield I'm a canon lover..So guess his one is quite a good model..

Hilda said...

This is magnificent, George! Is this robust, energetic water the result of the water released from the dam?

Sunny said...

I hope Santa has more than one camera 'cause mine is not working right either!
Lovely waterfall, as always.
Sunny :)